Friday, December 4, 2009

Life as a Refugee

This game made me realize that to leave your country is not an easy thing. Once you are out of your country it doesn't really seem to make a difference whether you are and immigrant or a refugee. The country that you go to is often not that friendly to new people. It must take a strong person to immigrate. I am glad that I live in a country where I am allowed to have different views than that of my government.

The life of an immigrant is very different from mine. I have a home that is mine, all my stuff, and I know the town I am in fairly well. When I walk around I can speak the language and read all the signs so I am very comfortable.

The biggest surprise for me was how people on the run really must focus on themselves. You have to ignore people who need help. You have to be careful about even helping family members and friends. You can really only be responsible for yourself and potentially your family.

I am not sure how I would feel if I were in a situation like this. I hope that I never am! I think it would be really scary to have to leave everything behind you and go somewhere you have never been, in a place where people are not friendly, with no money, and not even the ability to speak the language and communicate with the local people.

No comments:

Post a Comment